Rachel is a formerly chronically ill young adult who is now well and is having unusual experiences.
Portal is a learned adept who teleports. (Focuses Mind over Matter)
- pool: 7
- base: 7
- edge: 0
- pool: 12
- base: 9 + 3 (options)
- edge: 0
- pool: 17
- base: 12 + 3 (options) + 2 (Learned)
- edge: 1
- Smart: +2 to your Intellect Pool.
- Skill: You halve the time it takes to make a recovery roll (minimum one action).
- Inability: You have few social graces. The difficulty of any task involving charm, persuasion, or etiquette is increased by one step.
- Additional Equipment: You have two additional books on topics of your choice.
h4. Tier 1
- Effort: 1
- Genius: Intellect Edge of 1. Might and Speed Edge of 0.
- Expert Cypher Use: Can bear three cyphers at a time.
- Starting Equipment: Appropriate clothing, plus two expensive items, two moderately priced items, and up to four inexpensive items of your choice.
- 4 abilities: Teleport, Push, Scan, Distortion
Teleport (2+ Intellect points)
You instantaneously transmit yourself up to 2 meters in any direction, regardless whether you can see or have been to the destination. Air or water is displaced around you, but you cannot displace solid matter; if you teleport into solid matter, you are displaced to the nearest open space. Instead of applying Effort to decrease the difficulty, you can apply Effort to bring other people with you; each level of Effort affects up to three additional targets. You must touch additional targets to teleport them. Action.
(Note: modification of 5th-tier Adept ability Teleportation.)
Push (2 Intellect points)
You push a creature or object an immediate distance in any direction you wish. You must be able to see the target, which must be your size or smaller, must not be affixed to anything, and must be within short range. The push is quick, and the force is too crude to be manipulated. For example, you can’t use this to pull a lever or close a door. Action.
Scan (2 Intellect points)
You scan an area equal in size to a 10-foot (3 m) cube, including all objects or creatures within that area. The area must be within short range. Scanning a creature or object always reveals its level (a measure of how powerful, dangerous, or difficult it is). You also learn whatever facts the GM feels are pertinent about the matter and energy in that area. For example, you might learn that the wooden box contains a device of metal and synth. You might learn that the glass cylinder is full of poisonous gas, and that its metal stand has an electrical field running through it that connects to a metal mesh in the floor. You might learn that the creature standing before you is a mammal with a small brain. However, this ability doesn’t tell you what the information means. Thus, in the first example, you don’t know what the metal and synth device does. In the second, you don’t know if stepping on the floor causes the cylinder to release the gas. In the third, you might suspect that the creature is not very intelligent, but scans, like looks, can be deceiving. Many materials and energy fields prevent or resist scanning. Action.
Far Step (2 Intellect points)
You leap through the air and land some distance away. You can jump up, down, or across to anywhere you choose within long range if you have a clear and unobstructed path to that location. You land safely. Action.
Teleports (Focuses Mind Over Matter)
If you wield other overt abilities, those that would normally use force or other energy instead use telekinetic force. For example, a force blast is a telekinetic blast from your mind. This alteration changes nothing except that you don’t need a free hand to perform abilities that otherwise require it.
Minor Effect Suggestion: An object moves faster or more efficiently.
Major Effect Suggestion: You can move or affect twice as much as normal.
Deflect Attacks (1 Intellect point)
Using your mind, you protect yourself from incoming attacks. For the next ten minutes, you are trained in Speed defense tasks. Action to initiate.
- All attack rolls
- Movement, acrobatics, initiative, and Speed defense
- One extra recovery roll per shift (each one action, all coming before other normal recovery rolls)
- Intellect defense rolls and all knowledge, science, and crafting tasks
- Use of a specific power, including damage (3 additional points per shift) but not attack rolls
- Might defense rolls and Armor (+1 per shift)
- Attack rolls and damage (3 additional points per shift)
- All tasks involving strength, including jumping and dealing damage in melee or thrown attacks (3 additional points of damage per shift) but not attack rolls
Appropriate clothing, plus two expensive items, two moderately priced items, and up to four inexpensive items of your choice.
Rachel Liebowitz was born with a terminal illness (cystic fibrosis) that left her weak throughout her life. Her mother was protective of her, trying to shield her from any harm. Rachel was home-schooled, and rarely left the house, but traveled far in her imagination, through books and videos.
While being treated at WakeMed hospital in Raleigh, NC for a particularly bad turn of health, a mysterious blackout at the hospital threw the staff into chaos. Astoundingly, Rachel’s health improved quickly and dramatically, to the point where no trace of her illness was left.
And then unusual things started to happen around her…